Join us as we remember all we’ve done in 2009 and look forward to 2010–The Fuller Center’s fifth year of building and renovating homes for those in need!
|It’s been an active year for The Fuller Center with 20 NEW covenant partner groups, a worldwide 100-house build, 15 Global Builders trips and many new programs and initiatives.|
Since 2005, our 74 covenant partners have built or renovated more than 450 homes worldwide. With an average of five people living in each home, that’s more than 2,250 mothers, fathers and children who now have a decent place to live!
We lost our dear friend and founder, Millard Fuller, this year. Although he is no longer with us physically, his spirit is very much alive in this ministry.
EVENTS, SUCCESSES AND MILESTONES
- 15 NEW U.S. COVENANT PARTNERS – With 15 new groups, this brings the total number of covenant partners in the U.S. to 57 (in 25 states). Together, these groups have built or renovated at least 225 houses, including 40 in Shreveport!
- FIVE NEW INTERNATIONAL PARTNERS – With five new countries signing on, this brings the total number of international partners to 17 (in 17 nations). India, Ghana, Sierra Leone, DPR Korea and the Philippines joined the Fuller Center family, with all 17 groups building or renovating more than 225 houses.
- FULLER MEMORIAL CELEBRATION – More than 1,500 friends celebrated the life of Millard Fuller, The Fuller Center’s founder and beloved friend, at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Ga.
- BIKE ADVENTURE – 140 people pedaled at least one mile and 14 bikers completed the entire 1,400-miles in the second annual Bike Adventure. Participants crossed seven states, raised $85,000 and worked on 12 houses.
- MILLARD FULLER LEGACY BUILD – The worldwide event, centered in Lanett, Ala., saw the construction, renovation or dedication of 100 houses.
- DISASTER REBUILDERS – Our dynamic disaster response team relocated from the Gulf Coast to Orange, Tex., to repair homes damaged by Hurricane Ike.
- RV BUILDERS – In Minden, La., newly-launched Fuller Center RV Builders built their first house.
- GLOBAL BUILDERS – Volunteer teams successfully completed 15 trips to four countries.
- FAITH BUILDERS – Faith Builders launched a new program that allows churches to do Greater Blessing repair projects in their communities without affiliation with a covenant partner.
- NORTH KOREA (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) – On Nov. 11, groundbreaking for The Fuller Center’s first project in DPR Korea.
- PERU – In addition to completing 20 new homes, members of The Fuller Center community in La Florida planted 74 trees honoring Millard Fuller’s life.
- ARMENIA – 63 homes are completed and 30 more are underway. Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of the Armenian Orthodox Church, His Holiness Karekin II, blessed the launch of the Fuller Center Armenia’s "Building on Faith" project.
- NIGERIA – Celebrated the construction of its 50th house.
- EL SALVADOR – The Fuller Center has 32 homes complete or under construction plus water and electricity at Villa Linda and Millard Fuller. After heavy rains related to Hurricane Ida devastated the region on Nov. 7, The Fuller Center also began a response to help restore the lives of the river community of Santa Cruz.
- CONGRESSIONAL RESOLUTIONS – The U.S. House and Senate honored the life and work of Millard Fuller.
- COOPERATIVE BAPTISTS – The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship signed on as goodwill ambassadors promoting The Fuller Center’s work throughout its network of churches.
LOOKING AHEAD TO 2010
- MILLARD FULLER LEGACY BUILD – The second annual Millard Fuller Legacy Build will take place in Indianapolis, Ind., from Sept. 5-10. Volunteers will help build nine new houses and renovate 20 others in Indianapolis.
- FIFTH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION – The Fuller Center will commemorate its fifth anniversary in and around Shreveport, La. in late March.
- GLOBAL BUILDERS TRIPS – So far, 11 teams are forming, including the inaugural trips to Sri Lanka, North Korea and the Philippines.
- BIKE ADVENTURE – The third annual trip kicks off June 18 for a 50-day, 2,500-mile ride from Niagara Falls to New Orleans.
- SECOND ANNUAL COVENANT PARTNER CONFERENCE – Shreveport, La., Jan. 15-16.
Go to our GUESTBOOK and share YOUR stories from 2009 and any upcoming events or words of encouragement for 2010!