(KESQ-TV) Lloyd Tilch, of Twentynine Palms, California, proudly served his country as a Navy corpsman for 20 years. Now disabled, he is not the only one in his family battling medical issues that have led to a mountain of medical bills. Wife Debbie has been battling multiple cancers, while they have been raising their 16-year-old grandson Cody since he was 2. Among other thing, Cody suffers from cystic fibrosis, diabetes, epilepsy, thyroid disease and a heart condition. Over this past weekend, in just three days, volunteers helped the Desert Communities Fuller Center for Housing with the Tilches to build a simple, decent and affordable home where the Tilches will live comfortably and be able to pay a zero-percent-interest, no-profit-made mortgage on terms they can afford — payments that will go into a Fund for Humanity to help other families in need be able to seize a hand-up into decent living conditions.
- Join us
- Where we work
- Volunteer / Upcoming Builds
- U.S. Builders
- Bicycle Adventure
- 2017 Millard Fuller Legacy Build
- Start a Covenant Partner
- Global Builders
- About Us
- Global Builders
IN THE NEWS: New home built in 3 days with California family in desperate need
This post was written by Chris Johnson
Chris Johnson is the Director of Communications for The Fuller Center for Housing, a multi-award-winning columnist for the Columbus (Ga.) Ledger-Enquirer and author of 3 books.
3,934 FAMILIES HOUSED THANKS TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU!
Search our site
Get our newsletter
- Volunteer writes of ‘gestaltism’ and ‘unending gratitude’ after Nicaragua trip February 22, 2017
- ‘I’ve come back home,’ 91-year-old says after house she loves is refurbished February 22, 2017
- Former Habitat affiliate in Houston, Miss., sees ‘a better fit’ with Fuller Center February 20, 2017
- University of Alabama College of Arts and Sciences report features Bicycle Adventure leaders February 8, 2017
- Updated case statement now available for viewing, downloading or printing February 8, 2017
- VIDEO: The Fuller Center’s monthly update for February 2017 February 6, 2017
- VIDEO: One of the best looks at flood damage in Livingston Parish, Louisiana February 1, 2017
- Disaster Rebuilders set up shop in Louisiana, encourage volunteers to join them January 24, 2017
Thank you for making our work possible!
Never miss a story
© 2017 The Fuller Center for Housing : The Fuller Center is a registered 501c3 non-profit organization. The Fuller Center for Housing is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry dedicated to eliminating poverty housing worldwide. Visit our headquarters at 701 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Americus, GA 31719 or call us at (229) 924-2900.